Friday, February 15, 2013

Time for a phone/ camera test (again) Part 1

I took this week off work as its my 40th birthday, or was yesterday anyway. So I thought I would have some time away from work, get some bits done around the house and in general avoid people wishing me happy birthday... I cant stand birthdays.

Anyway, its the end of the week, and its been a long week with builders in, workmen at the house, and has drained me just sitting around. So with the weather a little warmer I thought it was time to get out there and stretch my legs and get some fresh air.

Topping my Oyster Card, I headed for town (Central London / Westminster) First stop, my favourite, The Shard.

Before we get to the pictures though, I thought I would make this little observation. Both phones were 90% when I left home this morning. The Z10 was used for music (downloaded not streaming) for my journey to the station, into town and back again, while the S2 was used primarily for taking pictures, with a few chat and social apps on the go at the same time.
I wont mess around with the results, its as simple as this, with the above functions going on, and the pics being taken for comparison shots, they both lasted approx 4 hours. Make of that what you will.
Needless to say this is way short of what I have previously achieved with my 9900. But they did both take one heck of a beating, with the Z10 getting used for more photos, and Facebook. Neither did great, but both  had steady battery usage, no sudden drops, so control was maintained. The Z10 packed in yards from home, managing the last 45 mins of music while heading home.

So back to the pictures. I was somewhat surprised by the results actually, and they seemed to take it in turns to struggle with lighting conditions. Similar conditions for different shots, one would do well, then stumble on the next shot.
I shall post the pictures below, but must make the following points first:

All shots are taken from a hand held position.
I have tried to frame each shot as closely to the one from the other camera as possible.
Lighting conditions have NOT changed between any comparison shot.
Lenses were wiped clean before each shot.
Focus point on all shots is matched, and differences are in how the phone coped.
Any shot that zoom was used on, it was used on equally on both devices. x2 for example.
The file names have been changed, and images posted in mixed up order.
Both were set to auto scene, and NO flash
Both shots were taken within 1 minute of each other maximum. Usually less.

I realise that we all have different preferences in photos, some prefer depth, colour, focus, clarity etc. So im sure noone will have the exact same opinions as anyone else.

What I will say is, of all the tests I have done, this is without a doubt THE most comprehensive to date, and tried to get as many difference scenes, lighting situations, and objects as possible.

So here we go, let the pics begin. UPDATED, to show which device took which pic.
 Z  -Z10 - S - Galaxy S2

Starting with The Shard From 2 angles.
S

Z

Z

S

The last image having a large lense flare there. Both doing quite well to get the detail of the building, but some pics fairing better than others with the blue of the sky.
Next it was off to Trafalgar Square and some famous landmarks in challenging lighting conditions.
The fountain shot is on 2X zoom on both devices, while the focus points for the other shots are the sculpture at the top of the column, and the centre of the arch.

S

Z

S

Z

Z

S

Some obvious differences there, sorry for not getting Nelsons Column quite square in both shots.
Time for a wander over to St James's Park for some other pictures. Flowers, water, full zoom for the fountain, and a cute signpost shot, focused on the 'subject' in the picture.

Z

S

S

Z

Z

S


Z

S

Well, thats it for part one, as thats all the images that will go onto one blog entry, so you can view part 2 here. Part 2




No comments:

Post a Comment